|Years Coached||Record||Win %||Playoff record||Playoff win %|
Table of Contents
John Madden was a football coach in the National Football League (NFL) from 1967 to 1978, finishing his career as the head coach of the Oakland Raiders. Over his twelve years of coaching his teams compiled a cumulative win/loss record of 128-35-7. He was the head coach of the Oakland Raiders from 1969 until the 1978 season, during which time the Raiders went 103-32-7. During his career he was a head coach for ten seasons. In 1976, the Raiders won the Super Bowl against the Minnesota Vikings 32-14.
Madden was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006 after his coaching career.
John Madden Coaching Tree
Before he was a head coach, Madden served as an assistant coach for John Rauch. He spent two years as an assistant coach to John Rauch, finishing as the linebackers coach in 1968. During his time as head coach, three assistant coaches, (Ray Malavasi, Tom Flores, and John Robinson) on his coaching staff were hired as head coaches across the league. His coaching tree has combined for a record of 212-188-0 in the regular season and 15-12 in the playoffs during their twenty-six seasons as head coach after serving on his coaching staffs. The coaching tree has combined for two championships, most recently in 1983 by the Los Angeles Raiders, led by Tom Flores.
He was drafted in the twenty-first round with the two hundred and forty-fourth pick in the 1958 draft to play offensive tackle for the Eagles.
Madden was born on Friday, April 10, 1936 in Austin, Minnesota. He died on Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at the age of 85. No cause of death was released after his passing.
|1978 Oakland Raiders||Head Coach||9-7-0||0-0|
|1977 Oakland Raiders||Head Coach||11-3-0||1-1|
|1976 Oakland Raiders||Head Coach||13-1-0||3-0|
|1975 Oakland Raiders||Head Coach||11-3-0||1-1|
|1974 Oakland Raiders||Head Coach||12-2-0||1-1|
|1973 Oakland Raiders||Head Coach||9-4-1||1-1|
|1972 Oakland Raiders||Head Coach||10-3-1||0-1|
|1971 Oakland Raiders||Head Coach||8-4-2||0-0|
|1970 Oakland Raiders||Head Coach||8-4-2||1-1|
|1969 Oakland Raiders||Head Coach||12-1-1||1-1|
|1968 Oakland Raiders||Linebackers Coach||12-2-0||1-1|
|1967 Oakland Raiders||Linebackers Coach||13-1-0||1-1|
Coach history guide
|Seasons with a championship win||Seasons with a conference championship|
- Madden has the highest regular season winning percentage (.759) of any coach with more than 100 victories
- Never coached a losing season during his career
- Won Super Bowl XI as Head Coach of the Las Vegas Raiders
- Years as head coach: 10
- Championships won: 1967 and 1976
- Conference Championships won: 1976
- First in total wins for the Las Vegas Raiders.
- Second in winning percentage for the Las Vegas Raiders.
- Most playoff wins in Las Vegas Raiders history (9)
- First in winning percentage in NFL history.
- Past teams coached for: Oakland Raiders
- Date of Birth: Friday, April 10, 1936 (85 years old), Austin, Minnesota
- Draft: NFL Draft: 1958, Round 21, Pick 3